Thursday, October 31, 2013

Raising crayfish in Aquaponics

     My experience with using crawfish (or cray fish depending where your from) has mixed feelings.
Now I dont for some reason have any pictures of my set up but let me explain my pros and cons about raising Crawfish.

I was doing an experimental set up with a flood and drain system with a small deep well attached.

 not wanting to use any fish because of the cooler temps in NW Arkansas that time of year I decided on local creek cawfish. First lets just note that when catching these quick lil buggers it would help if you had a net. But caught about 20 small to medium crawfish and also a few tadpoles (different story) and one of those bottom sucker fish, and also 3 snails.
  
    I placed all in a small styrofoam cooler without a lid and placed them in the back seat of the truck. That was mistake number one, when I got home, half of the crawfish had escaped and were all over the truck. Took about an hour to find them.

   My patio is inclosed with a pool dug into the ground. I built everything the same level an currently pouring concrete around the pool.  Everything is closed in.

    Now to the point. Once placing the crawfish in the aquaponics. I built a wire box from old chicken wire so that they can climb on and also cut some pvc to place on the bottom for privacy.

   The next day, I discovered 2 crawfish in my pool, now remeber it is cool out, so off I go with snorkle gear and catch the 2 and place them back in the 75 gallon tank.
I thought well that was odd couldnt really see how they could climb out.
Next day same thing, but 4 this time. back with the snorkel gear to chase the crawfish down.

    So I watched them for a while noticed that when the water drains from the grow bed and the water table rises that its only 3 inches from the top, so I took out a few gallons until it was 6 inches thinking maybe that would do.

   Next morning nothing was in the pool, I was happy, until the next morning, 3 more were in the pool and was on its way. starting to almost enjoy the cold water swim now, but not quite.

    I realized then that they were climbing up the folded part of the liner. after a month of all this and modifications I gave up and brought them back to the creek, it was time to use my pool and didnt need them in it.

    But to the good part of it all. The natural habitat worked very well. I even dipped up duck weed from a local pond. The water stayed clear and I fed the crawfish fish pellets and they really loved the sweet feed that I still had from when I had a pig. I enjoyed having them and watching the lil habitat work. The plants seem to well too, the basil grew tall and had some cabbage taking off.
I think I would like to do this again but with a tank that has slick sides.
   The nutriets from the habitat looked to be balanced even though I never took any test.

So if you see a few crawfish in the creek and have a container that will hold them, do grab some, very beneficial, But if you have a pool close by and they can escape, well its best to just leave them where they are, lol

Oh! and about the tad poles, well they do grow! and it is so awesome to watch them get their legs and
see them change their heads and then next you see them sitting on the side of the tank and jumping, and then..... well then you see them under your lawn furniture are taking a dip in your pool. So maybe not the best idea, but it was fun.
If you have had any experience of raising craw-fish in aquaponics, please leave a comment, I would like to know how to do it without sharing my swimming pool.

8 comments:

  1. Dude! would love to know where in NWA you are at. I'm south of Huntsville. I have a 40 half barrel set up and its all off-grid powered with solar. We are running at 100% right now and started off with gold fish till the water is warm enough for tilapia. Its all in a greenhouse that we are planning to heat using the Jean Pain method. Plan B is a rocket stove for the couple extra months in the fall.

    I put a few crawfish into the system that actually came with the goldfish. Figured that might help if any fish die, they could eat the dead material and process it without maybe the PH going out of wack.

    If you're not far, consider coming out for a visit. My email is zac(AT)wetinkpro(DOT)COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zacchary, Man I wished I would have knew you were there before I moved, I moved down to south Alabama to take care of family, but your system is exactly what I have in mind too, I am starting from scratch again here, so it may take a lil time to get it all like I want it. but if I get back up that way, I will love to come by and see it. Thanks man!

      Delete
  2. I bought about 8 crayfish from a local bait store. I placed the males (2) in the sump that leads to my biological filter. the females i placed in a short 10 gallon plastic tub (with lid but no escape attempts yet) with in from filter and out to the sump. I put plenty of rocks and places to hide etc. Mix things up when you clean so they become less territorial. I watch them molt and they seem to be doing fine. Quadrupled in size since Ive had hem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of alternates to tilapia, due to the fact that the "aqua" component is supposed to be a crop also, not just a nutrient source for lettuce. Would like to know if anyone has worked with the redclaw variety from Australia which requires substantially warmer temps. Also looking into White fish to harvest and smoked...my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the process right now. I ordered 2 pairs 6 months ago, fixing to try to breed a pair now, one pair died, even with big spaces and plenty food they still will kill each other. But once I have a start, I plan on documenting the whole process of the aquaponics with fish and without, please keep in touch

      Delete
    2. I am in the process right now. I ordered 2 pairs 6 months ago, fixing to try to breed a pair now, one pair died, even with big spaces and plenty food they still will kill each other. But once I have a start, I plan on documenting the whole process of the aquaponics with fish and without, please keep in touch

      Delete
  4. I have been thinking of alternates to tilapia, due to the fact that the "aqua" component is supposed to be a crop also, not just a nutrient source for lettuce. Would like to know if anyone has worked with the redclaw variety from Australia which requires substantially warmer temps. Also looking into White fish to harvest and smoked...my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking for details about your products place lave me a message. When I post this, I am looking for more information on this. All information get build fish of animals and plans

    ReplyDelete